Hello fiancées and fiancés (did you know there is actually a difference? I just realized this a few days ago!),
Welcome back to my blog if you’ve already read a few of my posts but if not welcome for the first time! I am Mary.
Let’s talk about venues! Maybe you already have your heart set on a particular venue or have no idea of where to begin but because my readers are from all around the world, I can’t give you specific suggestions on locations. However, I can tell you some things to look out for and questions to ask.
I want what I write to be easy to remember and easy to save if you need to so I am just going to write out a list for you!
- Can they hold your ceremony AND reception there? If so, are they willing to just host one (in case you want two different locations)?
- Is it close to possible accommodations for guests/yourselves for before/after the wedding?
- How many guests can this venue hold? Is there a minimum number of guests?
- Does the venue include food, bar packages, getting ready rooms, any decorations, set up/clean up, linens, tables, chairs, dance floor, or anything else you should know about? What are the additional costs?
- Is there a minimum pricing?
- Is pricing per person? Are there any additional fees that would be added (taxes, tips/gratuity, credit card processing fees, etc)?
- Is it or can be BYO for alcohol? For food?
- What insurance is needed for outside vendors (photographers, videographers, DJ, florist, wedding coordinator, etc)?
- Are use of candles permitted?
- Do they have any signage that you can use free of charge?
- Can guests leave their cars there overnight without fees or towing in case they need to?
- Is a wedding coordinator required? If so, does it have to be someone who works for the venue?
- What is the deposit and how does the payment plan work?
- What happens if you have to cancel?
- What happens if they cancel?
- Do they have a wet weather plan?
- Will you get the entire venue for the day?
- How long does the “rental” last? (This is extra important if the venue isn’t doing the set up and clean up)
- Do they have a recommended vendor list? Do you have to hire vendors solely off that list? If you choose to use someone from this list, will it contribute to your overall minimum purchase/price requirement?
- Is the use of confetti and/sparklers allowed?
Other things to keep in mind:
- Does the venue have beautiful places where you can get your pictures taken?
- What will the venue look like at the time of your ceremony (lighting wise)?
Sign up / sign in and comment below if you have any other suggestions for future brides and grooms! What else should they be asking?